Fungus Gnats!

While tending my seedlings this morning after a long weekend away at the DFL convention in Duluth, I noticed some movement in one of the pots where the seeds had failed to germinate. Upon very very close inspection, I saw teeny tiny white/clear worms moving about. I dug around and didn't see them in any of the other failed pots (and most of the babies are doing great), but they are pretty hard to see. A little digging on line and I think I've got it: Fungus Gnat Larvae. As soon as I ruled out a few other pests and came across gnats, I remembered the little flock of gnats flying around my seedlings a couple of weeks ago, which I just hoped weren't a problem. Turns out they are - the larvae live on roots and seeds and can spread quickly. All my pots have the same organic mix this year, but I only washed and didn't bleach them, and may not have done a very good job with some. I'll have to do some more poking around in the dirt and on-line tonight to see if I can and should do anything to protect the other plants. (Other than take away the infected pot(s))

Comments